artists & participants
After the works formerly in the Spanish royal collections, the most important group within the collection of the Museo del Prado comprises the paintings formerly in the Museo de la Trinidad. Officially open to the public in 1838, the Trinidad closed permanently in 1872, at which point its holdings were combined with those of the Prado. The short and eventful life of this Museo Nacional de Pintura y Escultura - which in part owned its origins to the efforts of the Madrid Royal Academy and also enjoyed the support of the Queen Regent María Cristina de Borbón - is one of the least known episodes in the history of the Prado's collection. Located in the calle Atocha in Madrid, the Museo de la Trinidad was installed in the monastery of the Trinidad Calzada (hence its name). The collections came from monasteries and convents closed down by the laws of Mendizábal between 1835 and 1837. In addition, further paintings arrived in 1838 from the collection of the Infante Sebastián Gabriel, confiscated from him in 1835 as a reprisal for his Carlist sympathies. From 1856, the Museum also started to acquired paintings somewhat randomly, and works by Luis de Morales, El Greco, Alessandro Allori as well as an important group by Goya were added to the collection.
only in german
The Museo de la Trinidad in the Prado
Kurator: José Alvarez Lopera
Künstler: Vicente Carducho, El Greco, Jan van Eyck, Giulio Romano, Giovanni Domenico Tiepolo, Francisco de Goya, Alonso Berruguete, Sanchez Cotan, Alonso Cano, Luis de Morales